Saturday, January 3, 2009

Days 4 and 5

Day 4 - Last night Clark's Mom stayed with him from 9-12, my mom came for the rest of the night, and Clark's dad arranged for me to have a room at their hotel so I could get a good night's sleep and a hot shower :) I arrived back to the Clinic at 6:15 am and Clark had my Mom up and walking laps (this was in addition to the three laps he made her take at 3:30 am.) Around 11am, Dr. Benzel came by and said that he thinks that Clark is doing great and that he expects the strength in his foot and left calf muscle to return over time. Later, Paul (the friend who is responsible for helping Clark come under the care of Dr. Benzle) stopped by. It was great to see him and get to thank him again for all he has done for us. Clark was up and at it throughout the rest of the day. Every time Clark is up, he is stronger. PT came and Clark went up and down a flight of stairs in the Clinic. 20 laps later and a good rest later Clark and I had a late night (1-2 am) date including a shared Subway sandwich and strolling down an unchartered corridor. We slept soundly the rest of the night.

Day 5 - This morning Clark walked from the bed to the doorway without his walker! My brother Chris showed up at 9 am with memory foam ready to help me get the car and all of our things ready to go. By 10 am we had all necessary prescriptions, instructions, and our discharge papers. It was time to knock out Goal #3 - to walk out of the Clinic. The people at the front door insisted that Clark leave in a wheel chair... so Chris wheeled him out and Clark promptly got his walker and walked back in so he could WALK OUT ON HIS OWN POWER!!! That means goals 1-3 ACCOMPLISHED! We set out and my dad met us a few block from the clinic to say goodbye - it should be notes that we thank him for the first peice of memory foam - but 4 inches was just too big for my car (oh, and Clark is eternally grateful for the triple thick chocolate milkshakes you never failed to pick-up at McD's :) We headed to my Mom's house in Chippewa Lake, OH (40 miles south of Cleveland) - she is the best nurse I know and we decided to stay with her for a few days to let Clark get stronger for the rest of the journey home. Today we, worked on steps and walking AND got Clark into a pair of soccer shorts and his favorite C-A-R-D-S RED REIGN T-Shirt. After a long day, he is resing on the bed my mom and I prepared using the couch, a board, and the memory foam :) He is making such great strides everyday. Likely the next post will be from him.... Thanks again for all of your comments and support!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Clark and Megan,
    I am so pleased to hear of all the wonderful progress. It sounds like taking a stop at mom's house might be a good break. I am sure that Clark can't wait to get home to his own bed, things, and the kids. Please continue to keep us posted of your progress.
    Love,
    Megan, Dan, and Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clark and Megan...

    Glad to hear things are going so well. Clark, I am sure you will make an amazing and speedy recovery! I will be thinking of you and sending you lots of positive energy. And... Megan, I will be happy to help you return to as normal a routine as possible when we hit the halls at KCD! Seriously... anything I can do... just let me know. You guys are wonderful and the support and love you are surrounded with is truly an indication that fact. Take care, Clark and take your time with all that is ahead! Remember patience is a virtue! : )

    Lisa Pepper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clark and Megan,
    I think I was holding breath from the time I began reading your first blog until the last. I am so happy that Clark is up and walking! I will say a prayer each night that we see Clark picking up Lily from the classroom as soon as he is ready! Please know that Lily's school day will be completely normal and that I am here to help in any way I can! I will continue to send happy thoughts your way for a complete and speedy recovery.
    Carey Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so glad to hear about your continued progress. We think of you often, and our thoughts are with you and your family. We love having the blog to check on how you are doing.

    Love,
    Uncle Charlie and Joyce

    ReplyDelete