Saturday, January 24, 2009

I am writing this post 3 weeks and 4 days from my surgery, mostly for anyone who finds this blog online and has a spinal tumor like I did. I am writing again to offer HOPE, because there is a lot of bleak material online about spinal tumors like schwannomas or ependymomas.

Today I biked about 4 miles and power walked 2 miles (with about 20 yards of light jogging thrown in there, just because I wanted to see if I could. The old spine said "not yet, please" after about 20 yards.)

I am completely off all pain meds--have been for a couple days now. Is there some pain? Yes. Is it overwhelming? No. It gets more manageable every day. Not much at all in my back today. My legs are very out of shape, which I am working hard to remedy. The surgeon removed a nerve, so there will have to be some compensation from others. I'm working hard to make it happen.

In the past two weeks being home, I have power walked about 40 miles on the Anchorage Trail, and I have been able to get on my bike for three days straight now. I do sets of stairs every day, as well.

I am still cautious about lifting anything, but I have begun my upper body conditioning again, in a very limited way.

My point is that it is not all gloom and doom after this surgery. You will find so many reports online of people who are completely devastated. While I am nowhere near 100% (or even 50, honestly) yet, I plan to be, and life is already better for me than it was pre-op.

If you are reading this and have a spinal schwannoma, know that life can be good again. I will update again in a month or so, when I hope to have made even more significant progress in my legs and back.

One final note: Uncle Mike, I will miss you. You were a second father to me growing up, and I really, really appreciated your support during this difficult time. Rest peacefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment